Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it is about learning to dance in the rain

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Older Page explained

After looking through my own gallery from yesterday's blog post, I realized something about one of my older pages I created - I never explained the process! With my gallery on scrapbook.com I rarely made any explanations of my projects. I'm just going to clear that up right now on this one because I'm damn proud of it. Its one of my favorites, even if its the most simple one I've ever created.

I usually spend way to much time thinking about the design of my pages and fretting over them continuously while in the process of putting them together. I tend to second guess myself even after I'm done, as if to say, "Is this IT? This is the best I can come up with?" I do this ALL THE TIME, not just in scrapbooking. Ask my husband, I've done it in programming to, one of the reasons why I stepped away from that side of things. I cannot leave well enough alone, and expect perfection the first time out on anything I do, one of these days I'll get over that and just enjoy the process, as well as not be so hard on myself for the failures.

One of the reasons I absolutely adore this particular project is:

It was the easiest page I've ever produced!

YEP! One of the few moments where I came out with a finish product that I was happy with, no tinkering. I went into it with an absolute idea of what I wanted too. Pizza party = pizza picnic, or something like that. The idea was a top down view of a covered table. My favorite part? The handmade pizza. I cut, inked and created that piece all out of my head. No scraplifting, no looking at a thousand design pages to get ideas. Just BOOM, there it was, clear as day.

Alright, so onto the process.

Silverware, simple. I took captured images from somewhere out on the web, or clipart, can't remember and printed them out. Traced them to chipboard, then cut that out, covered it with aluminum foil. VERY simple. Very cute. The gingham paper was obviously cut on the bias. Did that to make it look like it was a table cloth over a table. So, now we have our table set with silverware too.

Next was the pizza. (I seriously love this piece, can you tell?) Very simple as well. After searching through my cardstock for just the right shade of "pizza crust" brown, I started with a drawn circle, freehanding the waviness around it to make it look "crust" like. After this, I decided it needed some shading so, I grabbed my inks. Chestnut Roan chalk ink for the win! Love Colorbox. I use that particular shade so much that I've been through three of the pads in one year, no lie! It looks great on everything, almost.

Shading done on the crust, we move to the next layer, the "cheese." The again, appropriate shade of yellow cardstock chosen, cut with either my EK Success circle cutter or my Silhouette digital craft cutter. I'm not sure if it was an 8" or 10" circle now, and that makes a difference because of the tools used. EK can't go beyond an 8" circle if I recall correctly. I made have used my Silhouette to cut two halves due to the size limits of the EK too. Either way, you get the idea. After this, again with the shading. I dabbled a bit with my red colorbox inks, took a while to get the right mix, but I had magenta in there definitely, and a bit of maroon I think. Also with the chestnut roan to give it that cooked look.

From here, the "pepperoni" were added, again with the same tricks. I used my Silhouette to save me the time on batch printing the circles needed. Colored them with a little chestnut roan and other darker colors for that cooked effect and then assembled it as you see above.

Just to break up the monotony of a whole HALF pizza on both pages, I cut the other half into several pieces and used some of my shape scissors to cut "Bite" marks into them.

The chipboard took on several layers of straight black ink before they came out looking right, to me. Black just seemed fitting against the bright colors of the background, and it went well with the accent colors used against the photographs. I finished that part before I thought about the rest of the page, so it was a good way to tie it in.

Simplest design, and still one of the most loved. Good thing the daycare director liked it too. This was the first time I had been kinda sorta commissioned to do anything like this. It was part of a larger collection of pages for my older daughter's daycare (at the time), to document their summer outings.

No comments:

Post a Comment