Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it is about learning to dance in the rain

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Burn Baby, Burn!

Not to hijack my own blog already, but, yep, I'm going for it. My brain is too fried to concentrate on the wonders of technology or scrapbooking.

I have lots and lots of favorites, but I haven't managed to get around to listing them on my profile, I know, I'm lazy. I like to pride myself on not watching a whole lot of television. At the very least it becomes a soundtrack to whatever I'm really doing at the moment, but I have to say, I LOVE BURN NOTICE!

Hubby can have his TV any other time he wants to catch up on DVR'd episodes of Mythbusters, American Pickers, PawnStars or whatever catches his fancy at that particular moment (don't get me wrong, I like those too, but again, -background- music), but he better steer clear come Thursday nights. I started watching this show as a fluke, it sounded interesting, included eyecandy and best of all Bruce freaking Campbell! Talk about being hooked instantly.

Now to the point. Unreality has taken a pot shot at the show. At first glance, I did LOL at the image. Paul does have a point on their "formula," but really, just for once, look beyond it. That is what caught me each and every time. But I really do soak up the MacGuyer crap easily, I feed off of it, I like feeling like I've learned something when I watch a show. This one has it, with whole lot of sexy and a splash of comedy (Thank you again Bruce!) not to mention the spy angle.

The show is greater than its silly "formula." You take away a lot of little bits of knowledge about the general covert ops field. That is really common sense tactics, that could be applied to things like neighborhood watches or keeping yourself safe. That tangent of the show really outweighs the structure of the series, at least for me, but, again, that's ME.

Back to the critique. I'm not so sure adding Jesse was a great idea though either. 4 seems a little crowded for the team, and Jesse's penchant for thinking outside the box so much might just land the team in trouble eventually. It changes the dynamic just enough to take the focus off the "formula" IMHO, but why mess with a good thing? What they need to step away from is the constant interruptions of a sub-plot (the side job clients) and focus on the larger arc. Heroes fell into this too, and look where it got them.

However, once Jesse really learns what happened to his past (and I wonder how many seasons they will be allowed to drag that out among), Michael is in for a rude, painful awakening. I'm just saying, Paul, dear Paul, look beyond the formula and just enjoy the content! At least we know it'll be renewed beyond Season 4, unlike Heroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment